April 11, 2008

How to add a link

Since I last posted a message to this blog, a couple more people have begun writing in their blogs. I think that everyone who has begun to write is doing well. I'll post comments on what they have written in a day or two.

In this post, I would like to explain how to add a link to the text you have written. As an example, I will link to the first message in Sai's blog. Here is the address:

http://cuimingqing.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-learn-english.html

To link text to this address, follow the following steps:
  1. Type in the text.

    For example, "I hope all of you will look at Sai's most recent post."

  2. Select the address to which you wish to link . . .



  3. and choose "copy."




  4. Select the text you want to add the link to.



  5. Click on the link icon to the upper left of where you are typing.


  6. Then, paste the address into the dialogue box.



  7. If you cannot use "paste" from the "edit" (編集) menue, then you can either "right click" (Windows) or hold down the "command" key and then, without releasing the command key, press the "v" key (Mac).

    The result of these steps should look like this inside your editor:

    I hope all of you will look at <a href="http://cuimingqing.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-learn-english.html">Sai's most recent post</a>.

    The Blogger software has added what is called an "HTML tag" to your text. This tag produces the following link in your blog:

    I hope all of you will look at Sai's most recent post.
HTML tags are used in most web pages. There are many types of HTML tags that you don't need to learn for this class. I hope, though, that by the end of the semester you will become comfortable with a few basic tags like this. You don't need to remember all of the letters used in each tag, but I hope you will come to understand how they work.

No comments: